Santa Monica passes the nation’s most extensive EQ retrofit plan.
Santa Monica is poised to require safety improvements to as many as 2,000 earthquake-vulnerable buildings in what would be the nation’s most extensive seismic retrofitting effort. Their safety rules would go beyond what Los Angeles has done by requiring not only wood apartments and concrete buildings to be retrofitted, but also steel-frame structures. Steel buildings were once considered by seismic experts to be among the safest. But after the 1994 Northridge earthquake, engineers were stunned to find that so-called “steel moment frame” buildings fractured. For more on our Santa Monica services, please click here
Soft Story Retrofitting and Foundation Specialists
Earthquake Retrofitting: Welcome to Cal-Quake Construction the earthquake readiness experts. We are FEMA trained and a preferred contractor for California’s BRACE&BOLT program.
Here you will find useful information on earthquake readiness and earthquake retrofitting for your property. Additionally, hints on how to prevent or limit damage to your property, and life saving tips to keep you, your property and lives safe.
Servicing the entire State of California, the CAL-QUAKE team has well over 150 years of combined experience preparing property for earthquakes and repairing earthquake damage. Call us or book a retrofit inspection online today!
LOS ANGELES EARTHQUAKE RETROFITTING AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Tenant Habitability PlanTHP’s is one of the most common clearances required to pull your final permit. The requirements for these THP’s aren’t too difficult, however, the process is. The Tenant Habitability Plan, is a document that informs your building tenants of the upcoming Soft Story work, the length of time the project will take more
- Soft Story RepairMany properties have what is called a “soft story” condition. This describes any building that has a habitable room or rooms above a garage, carport or delivery bay area that was not designed to transmit shear or lateral forces to the story above. more
- Retrofit CertificationsMost insurance companies require seismic retrofit certification in order to get insurance on older homes. CAL-QUAKE is the most well-known and recommended company for doing seismic retrofit certifications. more
- Home BoltingThe solution for sliding failure. Sliding failure occurs when a property is not securely bolted to the foundation. The sideways movement of an earthquake can cause the entire building to literally slide off its foundation (while often remaining otherwise intact). more
- Foundation RepairDuring the inspection, the property and it’s surroundings are inspected for conditions that indicate prior or future seismic and/or foundation concerns. Some of these items include structural defects that affect the performance of the property during an earthquake. Cal-Quake experts check for cracks in foundations, sidewalks, driveways, garage floors along with drainage concerns. more
- Servicing The Bay AreaCurrently, over 58,000 San Francisco residents and close to 2,000 businesses are located in approximate 2800 soft story buildings that have not been retrofitted. more
SOFT STORY Retrofit pursuant to ordinance 183893
Our crew hard at work installing multiple steel frames in the San Fernando Valley area.
SANTA MONICA SOFT STORY & LOS ANGELES SEISMIC RETROFITTING
L.A. releases addresses of 13,500 apartments and condos likely to need earthquake retrofitting…Is YOUR building on the list? Find out HERE
Under the law, property owners will have seven years to fix wood apartments and 25 years to fix concrete buildings. The city has already identified about 13,500 apartment complexes that officials suspect need repairs. A Times investigation in 2013 found more than 1,000 older concrete structures — including landmark buildings in downtown, Hollywood and Westwood — that require close scrutiny for retrofitting. read more 01/16 – Renters and apartment owners must equally share the financial burden of earthquake retrofitting, the Los Angeles City Council agreed Wednesday, capping a more than year-long debate that allows the city to begin implementing the most sweeping mandatory seismic laws in the nation. more What is earthquake retrofitting?
SEISMIC RETROFIT LOS ANGELES
Seismic retrofitting is the modification of existing structures to make them more resistant to seismic activity, ground motion, or soil failure due to earthquakes. With better understanding of seismic demand on structures and with our recent experiences with large earthquakes near urban centers, the need of seismic retrofitting is well acknowledged. Prior to the introduction of modern seismic codes in the late 1960s for developed countries (US, Japan etc.) and late 1970s for many other parts of the world (Turkey, China etc.), many structures were designed without adequate detailing and reinforcement for seismic protection. In view of the imminent problem, various research work has been carried out. State-of-the-art technical guidelines for seismic assessment, retrofit and rehabilitation have been published around the world – such as the ASCE-SEI 41
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT CAL-QUAKE
As many of you are aware, the City of Los Angeles recently passed a new law requiring that apartment owners with buildings susceptible to substantial earthquake damage must retrofit their buildings in the next few years. This year notices will start going out to owners with properties that meet the city’s criteria. I myself own several properties requiring these retrofits because my buildings have soft-story parking where there is parking under the second story. So, not often but from time to time I come across an exceptional vendor I feel compelled to share with my clients. I selected Cal-Quake Construction only after carefully researching a bunch of companies. They’ve now completed several projects for me, and I would highly recommend them. So I’m passing this on to hopefully save you the time and trouble (and because Berzack Advisors isn’t just about doing deals—I care that my clients’ buildings are taken care of right!). We all know how difficult it is to find reliable construction companies, especially ones that specialize in this kind of work and do what they say they are going to do. And I know many of you are now in the same predicament as I am with a short fuse to retrofit these properties. The good news is that after your buildings are retrofitted, they’ll be far less likely to suffer damage in the next major quake. ~ wb
A trusted adviser
CalQuake Construction Inc., is a proud sponsor of local youth organizations
If you wish to pay us via PayPal for your inspection, feel free to click the PayPal button below. The inspection fee of $200.00 can be paid via PAYPAL OR at time of inspection.